Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The wonderful world of Holiday shopping and travel...

Most of you may know that both Sara and Jeremy are coming to Brockton for Christmas. This will be the first time in TEN years that both of my children will be with me for Christmas! I am pretty much "over-the-moon" about this.

But into what a wacko holiday season it is turning? (Get the silly grammar rule?)

I have been scurrying from location to location for a specific gift that happens to be one of THE hot items this year. I check stock on-line several times a day. I actually had an order placed and even confirmed and I still got an "Unable to fill your order" email.

I kinda "haunt" the local stores, both with phone calls and frequent visits and have continued to miss the boat on this particular item. Of course, on the day that I determined that I would NOT join the hoards stampeding the usual locations, I missed out on the meager supply that was eked out by one of our major retailers.

I haven't done this kind of "search and destroy" targeted shopping mission in... well... ever.

I know my Mom/Gamma did this for Cabbage patch dolls for my kids. I have heard of this happening for Elmo.
But, I am waaaay beyond trying to snatch a rare item to light up a child's eyes, uh, I want this for ME (well... and one other recipient).
Anyway, this kind of whining must be insufferable for some readers and I apologize, it would be to me as well, if it wasn't happening to me. (slap and chuckle).

So, onto the travel travails...

Sara should be circling Logan right now, but instead she is still in San Diego, waiting to possibly retrieve her luggage and then be picked up by her Dad, after spending ALL DAY in line, getting screened, getting planed and de-planed, getting directed and re-directed and listening to all those blaring anouncements, (some of which I heard over her phone) hoping that one will say,"Sara Sullivan, step this way, your champagne awaits and you will land at your Mom's door momentarily."

The new plan is maybe she will be here by tomorrow evening, between 9:00 and midnight.

Then we get to do this the day after that when Jeremy is slated to fly into Boston during our first significant snow storm here, which is expected to dump anywhere from 6" to 24", depending upon which news source you tune/log into.

I know that my children love me and I love them, but I don't want anyone, including myself to have to travel during holidays and especially back to this crucible of "lake effect snow", "Canadian express", and Perfect Storm that we like to call Boston.

I will be off the meds and Bloody Mary's by about Sunday 12/21.

I am experiencing a sort of physical "duality". Not just the empathy/sympathy of relating to one's own, but I feel like I am physically elsewhere as well as here. What's up with that?

See... 26 years later,... this proves what I always said about the fabled "maternal instinct". It is closely akin to insanity. (You may quote me.)

And we silly females actually rush toward it. !?!

So, thanks for bearing with me while I typed out my considered anxiety.

Next posting will be better, I swear.

Love,
K8

2 comments:

Breck said...

So, what's the update? Any arrivals yet?

Dan and Phyl's descendants said...

Sara is kicked back and blabbing away in my living room right now. Thank the universe!
We get to do the anxiety watch again tomorrow when son-child is flying in.
Thanks for asking.