Friday, November 23, 2007

Fun, fun, fun

I had such a great night tonight. It is so nice to have family around. The celtics game was on in the big family room, Pete, Jerry, Gino & Sara were watching it, while Gino, Sara, & Becca played card games, trouble & "lets con Sara", at the pub table. (We started the evening in a typical Sullivan way; food, Cod pizza to be exact.) In the dining room we had Peg, Kate, Breck & myself working on a puzzle. It was very interesting how we all sort of rotated around until we found a spot to land and work on. After a while Peg & Breck stayed pretty well fixed & Kate & I continued the circle dance. At one point, the dogs were barking, someone was on the floor and gales of laughter were emitting from the big room. Next thing I know, Sara is pouting (kiddingly) about how Gino & Becca ganged up on her & cheated in a game. Sara, was diffently outwitted that time. Jerry made a great pot of coffee to round out the evening & pretty much everyone had headed out by 9:30ish(except the out- of-state people). I could do this every night. It was just so relaxed, everyone goofing around, paper plates, plastic silver ware, pudding in plastic cups, puppies underfoot. We all got a chance to grouse around the puzzle table and still managed to get quite a bit of the puzzle completed. (Thanks guys!)

So Sara, as you read this over the next few days & re-read months down the road, you'll recall that we gathered together tonight as a bit of a farewell to you and that because of you I have this wonderful memory of family and I hope that you will also feel the same way. I hope that it will bring back a lot of the fond memories you have had at my house, the family gatherings, big & small, the feeling of belonging and acceptance we all have of one another and know that you are as an important piece of that as each one us are. Don't ever forget that as you have said "family matters" and that you can always count on us no matter what coast you are on. We're your family, we love you & will miss you, and no matter where you live, I will always feel that when you return here to visit, you will be home.

2 comments:

SARA said...

OMG.....wow I got a lil teary!
what are ya doing to me Colleen?! ;)
Thanks so much.

C said...

If I kept going, I would've been teary, but was not my intent. Wanted to let you know that just because you are heading West, you will always be an important member of this family & that we are here for ya. Kinda neat that you'll be able to say, my cousin this, or my aunt that, or my uncle this. You have created this history with your relatives. Kinda cool....