Saturday, November 3, 2007

This is new for me. I've never posted on a blog before, so here goes.
Mom and I were talking the other day, it was one of those conversations that you don't know how it started. We were talking about the busses in Brockton. I remember when I started school we took public busses. We(Mom and I) couldn't remember then name of the bus company. We(us kids) would walk down to the corner at Perkins Ave. to get the bus. We bought a ticket that was punched each ride. A lot of the cousins were on it to. It was almost our private school bus, except we paid for it. I can't imagine letting a 6 year old walk two blocks by themselves to get a bus like that today. At least not here.
We remembered when Grandma Little took us to Boston on the bus. We would go to Ashmont Station and transfer from there. I thought Ashmont was a spooky place. It still is. It didn't happen very often, but Grandma spent more time in Boston than I have.
However I have made great strides in that area. Just over a year ago, I went to Boston for a genealogy convention. Since it was a week long, I decided to stay in "town". I couldn't imagine commuting! Since joining the local organization, NEHGS, I've attended a number of workshops in and around town. This past June, I commuted to Boston for a week long program. I felt like a veteran by the end of the week!

1 comment:

Breck said...

Cool images Peg!
I tell my kids about convincing Mom I was old enough to bus into Boston when I entered HS.

She gave when I turned 14 and I think I realized then that public transportation was a "Very good" thing!

I have always gotten most of the best places in my life by bus. Heck, a greyhound bus took me to Nashville!