Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Shopping...

Okay, we know we got our training from a pro, but I just spent the most intense and fruitless hour or so shopping on-line, carefully adding sizes, colors and prices to my shopping cart, then estimating and pruning. When I went to "checkout", ONE of five items was actually available.
I did not bite a $20 item for $25 with shipping. It was worth it to me to get this little top for $20, but I bailed when there were NO other of my choices available and the shipping would be the same. (What a miser.)

It WAS strange though.

I did this sort of thing during "my miserable marriage".
I would go to the nearest TJ MAXX and cruise the aisles, touching everything, matching ties to shirts, trying on this or that. I would measure and evaluate the next item the kids might require for the next occasion, season, or growth spurt. I would plan the bath color scheme items.

I would often leave empty-handed. It was a stress crutch. I loved it. It was like going to a cultural event to see what was new.
Sometimes when I was feeling particularly vindictive toward Martin, I picked out fabulous shirts, ties, jackets (off-the-rack, of course), etc. I added it all up, I enjoyed the cheap selection for it's availability and possibilities. And then... I put it all back. As if to say, "I will NOT give you this. See what you are NOT getting. So there." Revenge. Vindication.
Trivial and ineffective.

But shopping...

I nearly did some tonight...

It came to $200 with all 12 items that I wanted, so you know what range I was in. I ended up trimming it to under $100 and then all but one gone. So, it was not meant to be.

Our new gal in the dept, Katy, agreed that shopping is a sport and an art.

If there is an Oscar or Gold Medal for Shopping, I think Colleen should get it. She instantly evaluates an items worth to her and value in general. She also investigates thoroughly and makes "informed decisions" about every major expenditure.

I maintain that there are two kinds of shopping; museum and mission.

Either you are browsing just to see what is out there (museum) or you are in need of a particular item (mission).
Museum can inform mission and yet mission may evolve from museum. This means, by grazing, when you want something in particular you know where it is. Like wise, by seeing new items on the market, you realize it meets a need and then you want one.

Shopping, acquiring, gathering goods, bargaining, whatever; it is a substitute for so much else. I'm not sure what yet.
But it feels like a substitute.
But for a genuine what?

Interpersonal transactions?

hhmmnn???


So...
THERE's a blog for ya...
K8

No comments: